Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore With Potatoes is an EASY weeknight dinner that cooks itself! With chicken falling off the bone in an Italian stew! this is comfort food at its finest.
- 6 chicken thighs bone-in, skin on or off
- Salt and pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (more if needed )
- 2 pounds (1 kg) baby potatoes quartered
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic (or 8 cloves)
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 small yellow pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 1 small red pepper (capsicum), deseeded and diced
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced
- 14 oz (410g) can crushed tomatoes
- 14 oz (400g) bottle tomato passata (tomato sauce or puree for US readers)*
- 150 ml red wine (optional -- substitute with beef broth IF DESIRED)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon each dried basil and oregano
- 1 beef bouillon cube crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt (adjust to your taste)
- pepper (adjust to your taste)
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- ½ cup pitted black olives
- (OPTIONAL STEP): Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat a small amount of oil in a pan or skillet. Sear skin-side down (if using skin on thighs) first for 3 minutes, until deep golden brown. Rotate and sear the other side for a further 3 minutes.
- Arrange the potatoes in a 6qt slow cooker bowl in single layer. Place the chicken over the potatoes and add the rest of the ingredients over the chicken (except olives and mushrooms).
- Vìsìt cafedelites.com for full ìnstructìons and recìpe notes.